Saturday, December 31, 2011

Bring on the New Year!

So. It is that time. December 31st. Time to make some resolutions and assess the previous year's accomplishments.

At the end of January 2011, I was so stressed about my work that my immune system dropped and I got a MRSA infection on my back.

Last year one of my goals was to join the local roller derby. I started that journey, but it was abruptly cut short by a broken leg.

In March I found out that I didn't pass my Professional Development Dossier, and therefore would not be able to continue teaching for the next three years. After several appeals to the Public Education Department Designee (who has less classroom teaching experience than me) I still am required to wait three years before becoming a public school teacher in my state.

In November I started getting a rash/patch of dry skin on my chin. Now it has taken over half of my face, and an internet diagnosis points to me having a fungus on my face.

THERE'S A FUNGUS AMONGUS! My face is a petri-dish of grossness, the likes of which is only amplified by make-up.

So, 2011 started with disgusting skin and is ending with disgusting skin, so I guess that's poetic.

How can I make things better in 2012?

1. Be more aggressive in the job hunt. I have felt a blow to my self worth since I am not working. If I can find something interesting that can supplement our income, then I would really feel better about myself.

2. Address my mental health. I think that so many of my issues go back to a vacillating depression that has been with me for a little over a year.

3. Add a true schedule to my days at home. Since June I have treated the days essentially like a spring break.
The kids and I sleep in, we kind of meander through the day, and around 4 or 5 I feel like nothing has been accomplished.

4. Incorporate more physical activity in my day. I feel better when I move more, but I am so unmotivated to do anything, so I sit around. Repeat cycle.

5. Follow my passion. I love to write, contrary to what it looks like here. I participated in National Novel Writing Month this year and got farther than ever before (while still not quite completing it). I want to finish that project and work on several others. I *resolve* to submit at least 2 short stories in contests this year. (To help this, I am going to read more so that I feel literature more in my head, if that makes any sense.)

6. (This one comes courtesy my sister.) I am going to be more positive. While I have the Negative Nelly or Debbie Downer act down pretty good, I think it would benefit everyone in my life if I started being a bit of a Pollyanna. So look forward to a bunch of "Life is great" posts on Facebook and attempts at uplifting blog posts.

In an effort to get a jump-start on my resolutions, I am going to start with number 6. Here's a list of things I am grateful for.

--My children are wonderful. I am so blessed to have two beautiful loving girls.
--My husband has been so supportive and caring. Thanks Jason!



--My sister. She has been such a great person and has listened to my whining when she has her own problems going on. I love you sis!



--My family. This includes my Mom, who loves me and takes care of me when she can. This includes Karl, who gave up my Mom for months at a time to help me heal. My dad, who loves me no matter what and is proud of my non-complishments this year. My aunts and uncles and cousins and everyone who loves me and who are so fun to be around I don't ever feel like family events are a chore (and we have a lot of them!).

--My friends. Sarah, Missy, Jewel, Matt, Tessa. These are people I have known for more than half of my life, and we have grown in many different ways, but I am still very close with each of you. I feel as if our conversations never stop (although there may be some long pauses).

--My health. I've had some issues, but none are chronic. I am very lucky to be healthy.


There you have it. The obligatory New Year's Resolution post. Tell me yours. Or don't. Keep me accountable. Or don't. Here's hoping for a great 2012.

3 comments:

  1. I know it's been a rough year for you, to say the least. GOOD RIDDANCE, 2011! Here's to a better year, with less MRSA and Athlete's Face. Love you!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this positive attitude. By the way, I'm making some changes for health benefits so..........if you still have a membership to Define, I would like to have an exercise buddy sometime. And I'm sure the Athlete's Face is just nervous acne. Look out 2012! Attack with fierce abandon! Love, Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that we've finally kicked 2011 to the curb! Yay!

    I love you and I just know that this year will be so much better!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Farmington, NM, United States
Old enough to know better, young enough to change.