Thursday, June 2, 2011

Well...

It has been a while. Much has happened.

I have fully recovered from my broken leg and MRSA.

I was threatened by a student via email.

I did not pass my Professional Development Dossier, and consequently cannot teach for 3 years.

That last one was a real blow. I worked very hard on my PDD and had several colleagues read it prior to submitting it. Failure itself does not bar one from teaching, but failure to pass by the 5th year of teaching causes one's license to expire and you can not relicense for 3 years. This means that I spent more time preparing to become a teacher than I actually got to teach (as I was on the 6 year BA program in college).

I am now attempting to rearrange my life knowing that my chosen profession is unavailable for the time being.

It is comforting to know that I can start over in 3 years (even though that means I have to redo the licensing process, which is pretty difficult). But I need to take this time and use it appropriately. As my sister pointed out, if I had passed, I might have sat in my classroom for the next 30 years and not explored any other options for my life. This forces me to try something else. These are the avenues currently open to me.

Grad School
Spending much more time with my cuties.
Attempt a new career (?)
Write more (I really do have a passion for it, even if my blog posting does not reveal that)

So, here I am, ready to try some new things. I am taking the summer off, as if I am still a teacher, because if I pursue a new career, I might not have any more summers with my kids. When the fall arrives, I will make a decision on what to do next. For now, I am getting organized (or trying to), and going with the flow.

2 comments:

  1. Just take it a step at a time, and remember your cuties are only little for a very short time!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, I am sorry you have had such a rough year. I am very proud of you and can't wait to see what great things are in store for this year!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Farmington, NM, United States
Old enough to know better, young enough to change.