Friday, March 26, 2010

PDD Done!

I've just finished (essentially) my Professional Development Dossier. For those that don't click the link, the PDD is an enormous document that teachers must complete between their 3rd and 5th year of teaching in the State of New Mexico. The purpose of the PDD is to encourage reflection, professional development, and assess one unit of teaching.

This thing is a beast. I've been working non-stop this Spring Break. I started writing on Tuesday and finished a few hours ago. Right now, my document is approximately 55 pages. I still need to scan in a few images and update some resources, but I have finished all that I will finish on my own.

Many teachers complete their PDD over the course of an entire year, and I decided to do mine in one week. This is because I am a supreme procrastinator and love to complain about pressure. I am in my 4th year of teaching, and so I have been planning for my PDD all year, but I was going to wait until the summer deadline to complete one. Then the NM Public Education Department announced that beginning in the summer the price to submit this document will increase substantially. I decided that I better save some money and submit by March 31st. Soon after this news, my district announced that they will institute a 1% pay cut across the board next year in an effort to balance the budget. You see, the state of NM is low on funds, and therefore they are making cuts to education. Because it just makes sense. But if I pass my PDD, I will get an approximate $12,000 increase in pay. It's worth a week of my time.

Now, the website to which I submit my PDD costs 1 million dollars to maintain. That is pretty significant. Also, my PDD is to be scored by two scorers and those scores are to be evaluated by a third individual. Now, I don't believe that there are only 3 readers, considering that there more teachers are attempting to move up in licensure levels in order to get more pay. That's a lot of people reading a lot of documents.

I may not pass this process, but I needed to attempt it in order to have an opportunity to resubmit later. I would really like to start the next school year with a raise rather than a pay cut.

It seems to me that the State of NM could save some education dollars by eliminating this process, but what do I know? I'm just a teacher.

PS-This post is just a rant to let all of my friends and family in on what I've been ranting about on Facebook for a week.

PPS--It is really good to know that I can churn out that much writing in a short amount of time, but now I've got no excuse for not posting more often. :(

3 comments:

  1. Hey, if it wasn't for having to submit your dossier, you could have actually enjoyed your spring break like the rest of the people with a nice block of time "off!"

    Instead; like during the work-week, your job spilled over into your personal time. AND, you are charged a fee for the "priviledge" of submitting this required document: most likely to be reveiwed by three people who probably recieve more compensation per hour than one who is entrusted with the education of our most precious resource--children!

    They should cut administrative and managerial positions; you know, skim off the "cream," so to speak.

    It has been my experience that the ones blow the most smoke recieve the biggest paycheck.

    It's called, "Baffle 'em with Bullsh*t."

    Dig in your heels, you are in the right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and by the way; I love you!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Farmington, NM, United States
Old enough to know better, young enough to change.