Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Confession

I watch Teen Mom. It is actually a pretty good show. When it's predecessor, 16 and Pregnant, was on I had some issues with that show, because I felt that it was unrealistic to have an entire series about teen pregnancy without including one teen who had an abortion.

So something I have noticed about Teen Mom is that many of the mothers have a negative view of daycare. This frustrates me. As a public educator, I have great faith in public education, and I believe that education can begin early.

I still hear negative comments about having Judith in daycare while I work full time. I try to let them slide, but they really bother me. I am lucky enough to have a supportive husband and family, and they understand that I need to exercise my skills in the classroom. When I stay home for extended periods of time, I begin to be resentful and depressed. This is not fair to my daughter or myself. I can't be the only one who feels this way, but people who make deriding comments about daycare don't consider this situation.

I feel that the mothers on Teen Mom may have bought into the same idea. They may be striving for an even higher plane of motherhood perfection as a way to prove their naysayers wrong. All women, mothers included, are expected to be everyone to everybody, and when we don't meet up, it can be hard.

I often have to remind myself that I am not able to meet the expectations of people who don't even know me, nor am I obligated. I just hope that the women from Teen Mom will find feminism to help them love themselves and their children the best they can.

Updated 1/20: I do not want this to come off as me saying that those who choose to stay home are silly or doing the wrong thing, nor do I believe that all daycares are good for kids. The point of this post was to say that there are many motherhoods, and it is important that everyone finds the version that works for them.

3 comments:

  1. I remember this being an issue with my family when I was a kid. My mother worked through my entire childhood and I think that's what kept her sane :-)

    Well done, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you and Judy and her daddy are happy with the day care you've chosen; other people should keep their traps shut.

    She gets to learn and socialize everyday and that is crucial. She also knows who she is and what she wants.

    I think that you guys are doing just fine!


    :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Farmington, NM, United States
Old enough to know better, young enough to change.