Saturday, November 28, 2009

Confession

I usually participate in Buy Nothing Day. This is an act of defiance to the new "tradition" of swarming malls and "bustin' doors" to get a "deal" on stuff for other people. For years I have avoided the mall the day after Thanksgiving, and I have also made efforts to avoid purchasing any goods on any other holidays (including the "sort ofs" like Memorial Day and Labor Day). I do this because while many people have a "day off" they decide to go and encourage businesses to stay open which means that many people will never get a day off.

Much of this thinking came about when I was a waitress. I hated that I had to bust my ass on Mother's Day to a crowd of people that felt that the best way to celebrate the person who most likely slaved over food 364 days of the year was to take her out to eat. Cook for the woman, she does it for you without the sappy card the rest of the year!

Sorry, I guess I got off track.

Back to the point of this post. I broke my own rules. My husband and I are now, regrettably, early risers whether or not we want to be. On Friday, we woke up at 5 am and went to Rears Soebuck and purchased a new high-efficiency washer/dryer set for $1000.

That's a deal too good to pass up. Our used washer and dryer (which have been repaired several times by hubby) are acting up again. We decided that it was the right time to make the investment, and the new washer will use much less water. Hopefully the greenness will offset my feelings of guilt about the glutness of the day.

I will continue to practice my own "Buy Nothings" but I will try to be kind to myself if I fall short of perfection.


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little disappointed.

    J/K! Enjoy your new appliances. Btw, how's the dude that you knocked out in line? Still in the hospital? Maybe you should send flowers with the money you saved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got you covered. In your stead, I stayed home and drank. I did read every ad, which took hours. It's an odd feeling, an epiphany really, that there was nothing in all those ads that I need or even want. Today I went hoarding with the hordes, because, apparently, Roo drained every bottle in the house after I fell asleep, the lush.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Farmington, NM, United States
Old enough to know better, young enough to change.