Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Piling On

It's October. For some people that means that fall is really here, or that it is time to start designing the perfect costume, or for some it means it's time to start Christmas shopping.

For me, October means it is officially time to flip my shit.

It is a grand tradition. Every year since I started college, October was the time for me to feel overwhelmed. Mid terms would arrive, and I would realize how terrifyingly unprepared I was. I would get a mid-term back with a C, D, or even an F or two. Then I would sob for hours, frantically reviewing the wrong answers or remarkably mark free essays wondering, "What went wrong?"

Lather, rinse, and repeat every fall (and spring) while I was in college.

I like me some tradition. And being a white person without a ritualistic religion, I decided to hold on to the October Freak Out.

So, in less than two weeks, I need to have the first 100 pages of a yearbook perfected and sent off. I also need to sell enough yearbooks to get out of the hole. I need to write a newsletter that praises kids for their good work, informs parents of upcoming assignments, and encourages two-way communication. I also need to have all of my students' assignments graded (thoughtfully) and entered into the gradebook. Also, it is time to start the dreaded Professional Development Dossier (pages and pages of reflection and discussion about what I do every day).

And then November comes.

By November, all of the October Freak Out tears, yells, curses fade away, as I attempt for the second time to complete a novel for National Novel Writing Month.

1 comment:

  1. You also have yo' Mama coming to visit! You don't have to do anything special for me, but maybe I can make things a little easier.

    Only nine days! Woot!!!

    XXOO

    :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Farmington, NM, United States
Old enough to know better, young enough to change.