Monday, March 23, 2009

Reflection

It is Spring Break, and it is time to reflect recent events at school. My students have been predictably squirrelly, as the weather is warming up and the end is neigh. The staff is getting restless, as they are preparing for professional development, vacations, or in some cases retirement. Parents are getting antsy because they (finally?) noticed that their child is not doing well in school.

I have had to address student drug use, apathy, violence and more this year. This is all to be expected, but having a break to reflect sheds light on how much so many kids have to go through just to get through school.

I have had one young mother drop out. I have had one young father arrested for child abuse/neglect.
I have had one student expelled for fighting.
I have had one student sent to rehab and counseling for refusal to speak to anyone.
I have had one student reveal physical abuse.
I have had one student reveal sexual abuse.
I have had one student reveal mental health problems.
I have had one student report bullying from a substitute against her and other classmates.


I have been blessed to have so many wonderful children come through my classroom just this year. It is sometimes so hard to wade through the days and appreciate each student as an individual, but when I give myself the chance, it is wonderful.

I have met dozens of artists.
I have met hundreds of comedians.
I have met one psychic.
I have met 3 dirtbike racers.
I have met 1 rodeo participant.
I have met 1 cellist.

The list goes on. My students all have something wonderful to offer. Sometimes they feel that they don't because they do not fit the school mold. I will try to remind them that while grades are important, they aren't as important as being a good, honest, caring, creative person.

1 comment:

  1. That's what every person needs to know--that they matter.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Farmington, NM, United States
Old enough to know better, young enough to change.