Monday, July 14, 2008

On Motherhood: Childcare

Here's one for the "that's why men work and women stay at home" crowd.

My school district offers daycare for its employees. This sounds fantastic, and I was really excited about it, so I called. Turns out that what they really provide is pre-school, as they only enroll children ages 2-5. One would think that an employer based in education would know the freaking difference.

So I'm an employee, and I have a child, so I need a place for her to be while I work, but that is only allowed if she is 2 or older. My district is implying that all employees should stay home until their children are 2. And I happen to work in a field that has traditionally been held by women.

The message that I am getting from my employer is this: "You are not supposed to be working. Stay home for another year."

That is not a message they should send. There are other professions that offer child care for infants. These professions also pay more. Yet schools are losing teachers left and right.

I WANT TO TEACH. I WANT TO DO THIS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. I know I am not alone, but districts are making other careers look more appealing because of the way they treat their teachers. This is part of the crisis in education.

Now I am calling every day care in the phone book, and it seems that they are either on a waiting list (many several months long) or they only take ages 3 and up. Grrr.

Note: Any of those "types" that I mentioned at the beginning of the post that feel the need to force their beliefs on me will be deleted. My blog, my rules.

2 comments:

  1. a big ol' WORD!

    And you can believe that if you stay at home you will be scoffed at as well.

    It's a no win situation.

    Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the daycare situation. If you want to find an outlet for your frustration (other than here), you might join Moms Rising. I'm not a mom, but I ended up joining, because they tackle many issues related to feminism.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Farmington, NM, United States
Old enough to know better, young enough to change.