Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Drive-Thru

Yesterday, hubby and I were on the way home from a doctor's appointment. We decided to drop of his scrips at Walgreen's via drive-thru. This has always been a pleasant and speedy experience for me.

There are two lanes for the pharmacy, and they are for dropping off or picking up scrips only. There was a car in the right lane and a car pulling away in the left lane. I pulled into the left lane for faster service. What usually happens when you pull into the right lane is you either call for the pharmacist or you send your information through the bank-chute-vacuum thingy. When you pull in the left lane, you are closest to the pharmacist and therefore they just open a drawer and you give your scrips that way.

Hubby and I pulled up and looked into the glass. There were two people there, a woman and a slightly nervous looking man. Turns out the young man was in training, evidenced by his hesitation and the woman's constant assistance. No problem, I thought, and I asked to fill one prescription and wanted to know if our insurance covered the other one. While the trainee was collecting our information and looking it up in the computer, the buzzer from the other lane buzzed.

Apparently the people in the right lane did not know the procedure, and as a result, they had not yet been helped. After the trainer answered the buzz, the woman driving the other car shouted...

"I have to tell you something. We were here FIRST!"

At that point the trainee told us our insurance would cover the prescriptions, and those would be ready in about an hour. We drove away.

I don't know why, but I found the other lady's response odd. Maybe it was her tone, which is hard to convey here. It was a tone of both entitlement and constant denial. It reminded me of a 6th grader. Maybe it was the way that the passengers in that car were throwing dirty looks at my car, even though we did not know that we were "cutting."

This situation was strange, but I know that it is not the first or last time that a trainee slowed things down. And I also know that it is ok, because we all need time to learn how to do our jobs. So I raise my glass to the trainee, for enduring what I am sure was a litany of complaints that day. You will soon be so fast that you will forget the grumpy lady in the white car.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully, the trainer informed the rude "lady" in the white car about the proper procedure so there is no confusion on her part again. I venture to guess that it's not the first time she tried to skirt the rules. Remember TheDoug's experience at W-mart?

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Farmington, NM, United States
Old enough to know better, young enough to change.