Friday, February 1, 2008

A Conversation with Dad

So my father called the other night. I was expecting the usual, "How's the baby?" and "You should call your step-mother." We did talk about the baby for a while, but suddenly my dad brought up politics. This was odd, as my father has been almost gleefully ignorant of politics since Perot ran for President. He is mildly conservative, but uninformed enough that most conversations ended up with me shouting, "It is your duty as a citizen to be informed and to make an educated decision! Pay attention for Pete's sake!" This conversation was very different.

Dad: "So what do you think of Hillary Clinton?"
Me: "Well, she isn't my first choice, but I am definitely in favor of many of her ideas. If she's the nominee, I won't be disappointed."
Dad: "I agree. Do you think that Clinton and Obama will run together? That would be pretty amazing, and I would vote for them. I'm not always a Republican."
Me: "Really? I think it would be a great ticket, but it's not likely."
Dad: "I can't see myself voting for any of the Republican candidates. They are all so....I don't know, not good, you know."
Me: "Well, I think if we can't get a Democrat into the presidency after the catastrofuck we have had for the last 7 years, then we are doomed."
Dad: "Yeah. We let some tree-huggers come in to discuss emissions at the plant, and I am glad that we did. We were one of the cleanest plants around, and now the numbers are phenomenal. We put in a (some technical word for a cleaning system for the power plant) and it was well worth the money. I am proud, I just wish they would stop picking on us."
Me: "That's great Dad."
Dad: "I've gotta go. Kiss the baby, and call your step-mother."

I was shocked. And I am proud that my dad has decided to pay attention again.

2 comments:

  1. I had one of these refreshing conversations with my parents a couple of weeks ago -- they are both lifelong Dems, but sometimes they are Kansas-conservative anyway -- they're both voting for Obama, and their reasons were well-considered (even though I'm still not sold on Obama yet).

    You CAN teach an old dog new tricks, after all, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PortlyDyke,

    I feel as if you are my vardoger.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Farmington, NM, United States
Old enough to know better, young enough to change.