Friday, January 18, 2008

Help Me!!!

I have been home with my baby for a while now. I am finally in a routine that is pretty predictable, and I am even able to multitask (to a degree).

Unfortunately I am a bad television junkie. I know that I should just turn it off, but I need something else to distract me. Lately I have been watching crappy shows like Maury (it's on for two back-to-back hours) and Dr. Phil. I need a list of recommended readings.

Here are some hints to help you recommend a book for me.

I love Joyce Carol Oates.
Classics are not off limits, in fact I welcome them.
I'm not big on "self-help" or "inspirational" texts.
I would prefer not to read a book that has been made into a TV movie.
Non-fiction is great, so long as it doesn't have too much jargon.

Please, all suggestions will be considered, and I wouldn't be against a "book club" type of discussion (plus it would keep my reading on track).

Thanks for your help!!!

6 comments:

  1. Well, for a thoroughly enjoyable read that will make you laugh, Terry Pratchett's "Thief of Time". For utter scrumptiousness, everything Mary Renault has ever written. (Can you tell that I have a slight bias?) -- if you choose Renault, start with "The Bull from the Sea"

    "Blink" (non-fiction) if you haven't read that.

    Read, or re-read J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, Wrinkle in Time, and all your childhood favorites -- better yet -- read them aloud to the little bundle -- she'll absorb all your good stuff!

    The last book I read that really set my hair on end was Yourcenar's "Memoirs of Hadrian" -- the craft of the writing is astounding to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks PD, I'll make a trip to the library this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the Oates Fan:
    The Time Traveler's Wife
    Wonderful, wonderful book!!!


    Best Non-fiction book I have ever read:
    Guns, Germs and Steel


    A CLassic, and the best "Road Trip" EVER!!:
    The Sun Also RisesDisplay Text


    And just because I enjoyed it so much:
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

    Anything by Cormac McCarthy would be nice, and a big
    YES, YES, YES to PD's suggestion of Renault.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, screwed up the tag, but the link should work.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been very non-fiction laden lately, but I can strongly recommend Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine, and I've just started Reza Aslan's No god but God, and I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some good and intriguing non-fiction, try Anna Fels' "Necessary Dreams: Ambition in Women's Changing Lives." It's a great book, and probably a very interesting perspective for a new mom.

    I'm in college right now and am reading Robert Fitzgerald's translation of The Odyssey, and IMHO it's a great, readable, almost fun translation. Probably it's more fun when you don't have a deadline to read it by...reading 466 pages of epic poem in 5 days is distinctly NOT fun :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Farmington, NM, United States
Old enough to know better, young enough to change.